Friday 28 March 2014


Although called the Study Week, where students are given some time off to have individual/group study to prepare for exams, many of them take this opportunity to travel instead! Our fellow Grand Tour student, Joshua is also going on an adventure to visit the popular tourism destinations (and see cabaret live show) in Thailand.

The Irony of Study Week

My favourite spot, Maya Bay on Koh Phi Phi Islands
Study Week? At first, it REALLY sounds boring and probably as terrifying as when you hear the word “Exam Week”. Contrary to what you may initially expect, for me (as a Stenden student), we always wait for this week to come soon and embrace it cheerfully in every term/Module J. Why so? Because this week is my “Study Week”, in other words, a one-week off from Rangsit University. Of course, all of us, the Grand Tour students, make use of this opportunity to travel to different parts of Thailand. Island hopping is probably what most Grand Tour students do starting from Koh Pha Ngan for its famous full moon party held once every month to Koh Phi Phi where one of DiCaprio’s movie in 2000 called The Beach was filmed. 

As I have spent my entire life in the Indonesian archipelago, I decided to spend half of my Study Week back to my lovely home city, Jakarta! Besides staying with my family, I also got the chance to explore a lot of hip and trendy places, such as The Cloud Lounge & Living Room, a rooftop bar on the 49th floor overviewing Central Jakarta. Enough said about my trip back to Jakarta and now let’s get back to my Thai adventure.

Located in the Andaman Sea of southern Thailand, Phuket is an island as well as a province with tourism as its main income. As I began to disembark from the aircraft, I was welcomed by a long queue in the Immigration at Phuket International Airport. In addition, the mid-day heat took me by surprise as I stepped out of the building. Even so, I would say that my short, weekend getaway to Phuket Island was worthwhile.

Bangla Road

I stayed at Phuket’s equivalent to Kuta Beach called Patong, and I must confess that this island is breathtakingly beautiful. Considering that this was a short trip, my friend and I did not waste our time, and thus started our endless spress of sightseeing activities.

The three highlights of my trip are Bangla Road, Koh Phi Phi islands hopping and Simon Cabaret Show. At the heart of Patong district, Bangla Road is the perfect place for the nocturnal partygoers on the island. Along the road where no vehicle is allowed to pass, there are different kinds of Thailand’s nightlife entertainment, such as restaurants, bars, pubs, strip clubs or even “ping-pong” shows. Although I did not stay for a long time here, my night promenade was awesome seeing the bustling nightlife of Phuket.

I believe, Koh Phi Phi islands hopping is a must in your agenda when visiting Phuket. An hour away by chartered speedboat from eastern Phuket’s pier, you will be relaxed by the breeze, azure of Andaman Sea and tropical coral reefs. Whether you would like to snorkel, swim or just sunbath, this day excursion has something for everyone. One spot that I enjoyed so was Maya Bay where The Beach’s shoot took place.

Simon Cabaret Show
At last but definitely not the least is Simon Cabaret Show. What else can you expect from a typical Thai entertainment? Surely, a cabaret show performed by the most gorgeous, good-looking ladyboys of Thailand, known as the otherwise transvestites of Thai. Recommended by all Phuket’s tour operators, Simon Cabaret Show will pamper you with an amusing dance performance from different cultures and eras for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes in its state-of-art theatre with great lightings and audio. Taking picture with the ladyboy before or after the show is also another unique experience although you are expected to give 100 Baht as tip”. Nonetheless, I really enjoy their performances especially in terms of their choreography and costumes.

Well, was there anything new that I have learned from my trip to the southern part of Thailand? The answer is Yes! Apparently, in Phuket for instance, there is a proportional percentage of Thai Muslims in the society. This fact answers my initial doubt when passing a number of mosques along the way from the airport to Patong area. One of the local tour guides also told me that there is an increasing percentage of Thai Hindu due to the influence of Indian diaspora here. Interestingly, I met several Thai people who could speak Malay too, which I rarely see in Bangkok. This may be due to Malaysia’s influence on the Southernmost provinces of Thailand.

A hint for my next writing, it is another Thailand’s Gastronomy Part 2 as I am going to feature Asia’s No. 1 Restaurant. So, stay tuned and get back to work (and the real studies)!




No comments:

Post a Comment