Friday 21 March 2014


At Stenden, students get the chance to learn Spanish as second foreign language. Joshua has been very busy practicing Spanish this week and in this edition he is sharing his presentation video on Alila Villas Uluwatu in...Spanish! Check it out!

Habla Español?

A night out with fellow students
Hola! Cómo están? These are just some daily Spanish phrases to say: Hi! How are you? Well, this week (Week 6) is somewhat very exciting, yet challenging at the same time. It is exciting because it is my last week before my one-week off commonly called as “Study Week”. Besides, as I mentioned in my previous writing, I have two oral assessments in Spanish, which are a sales presentation and a role-play. Gladly, by the time this writing is posted, I hope that I did quite well for these two assessments.

I also would like to use this opportunity to thank Ms Helen Pardo, my Madridian, Spanish teacher, who taught my class intensively since 6 weeks ago. Without her patience, support and continuous guidance, I do not think that my Spanish skills could improve significantly. I also wish her the best and success in her career, as she will attend a conference in Europe for the next 2 weeks. 

To be honest, as I was (diligently) practicing my scripts for both the presentation and role-play, I had less chance to do new leisure activities compared to the previous weeks. Even so, on Tuesday, I went to a cinema for the first time in Thailand with my classmates to catch a movie in 3D, 300: Rise of an Empire.

Major Cineplex – as what the cinema is called – is probably the nearest entertainment complex from Rangsit University. Interestingly, there is something unique when you watch a movie in Thailand that even you will probably not experience this anywhere else. Guess what, before the start of every movie, everyone in the theatre must stand up, while Thai Royal Anthem is being played. After the anthem, one has to take a bow to show respect for the King. I was amused and awed witnessing how Thai people adore their royal family especially His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the current monarch of Thailand.

Then, the movie proceeds afterwards. Another interesting fact about watching a movie in Thailand is no scene or segment of the movie that is cut or censored even though it is gruesome or explicit. This is what my Thai friend, Pook, told me.

What else can I say about this week besides the last week of having my last Spanish classes? I have gained so much knowledge, not only about the language itself, but also about the culture of Spanish-speaking countries. Sometimes, my classmates and I are treated with visual illustrations through YouTube videos or images related to the cultures, such as Spanish movies and typical dishes. Indirectly, we gain a clearer picture of these things instead of just imagining ourselves from the textbook.


For your additional information, my Spanish sales presentation is actually about Alila Villas Uluwatu, one of Stenden’s strategic hotel partners, which you can find it here! Please comment and leave your feedback J After my presentation, I received positive feedback from my teacher as well as my classmates that even they would really love to go to Bali and stay there. It gave me great pleasure and satisfaction that I could present, at least, a glimpse of Bali’s beauty to the others who have never been there. As the only Indonesian in the group (also among the Grand Tour students), I am so proud that I could represent my country to promote Indonesia’s tourism. In fact, some of them are highly interested in travelling to Indonesia, including my Thai buddies. 

At last but not least, I would like to extend my best wishes to my fellow colleagues in Stenden University Bali that are doing their oral assessments this week! Wish you luck and success!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment