Friday 4 April 2014


If you love spicy food and happen to be in Thailand, chances are, you would try as much local spicy food as you can while you are there. This week, Joshua went on to more culinary trip, and this time he got the chance to dine at Asia’s Number 1 Restaurant!

Wanna be on Top?

Minced prawn simmered with shallots, young chillies and coriander
Quoting from America’s Next Top Model (ANTM) theme song hosted by Tyra Banks: “You wanna be on top?”, I finally got a chance to dine out at Asia’s Number 1 Restaurant/Top 32 World’s Best Restaurant called Nahm. Awarded by Restaurant Magazine – a UK’s industry publication – Nahm is headed by an Australian-born Executive Chef, David Thompson, who earned the first Michelin star for Thai cuisine. As for my friend and I, like we always say: “To see and to be seen”, this dining experience can just perfectly describe this saying. My friends and I booked a table for 4 two weeks before our visit. I am presenting you: Thai Gastronomy Part 2. 

Strategically located on one of the high-end, busy streets of Bangkok, Silom Road, Nahm is a humble Thai restaurant inside a luxurious hotel; Metropolitan by Como. Why did I even write “humble” when all the signs indicate that this restaurant is anything but that? There is no barrage of signs in the area indicating that in the area lies ‘Asia’s Number 1 Restaurant’. The restaurant relies solely on its performance to woo everyone away.  Anyways, check out what I ordered during my visit here!

Soft shell crab stir-fried with chilies
After a state of indecisiveness commonly known as galau by Indonesians whether to choose set menu or à la carte, we finally decided on four different dishes and two desserts to be shared. Again, collectivism! Well, since pictures paint a thousand words, I guess it is not necessary for me to describe how ‘delish’ and gorgeous every dish was presented and served.

For me, the highlight dish of the day was soft shell crab stir-fried with chillies, holy basil and green peppercorns. It was truly ‘flavourful’ with amazing blends of spices. If I were a TripAdvisor rater, I would say that this dish is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! 

Besides, its minced prawn simmered with shallots, young chillies and coriander fresh vegetables and smoked pork was highly acclaimed as one of Nahm’s signature dishes too.

Pandanus noodle with black sticky rice
My other favourite would be one of the desserts; Pandanus noodles with black sticky rice, water chestnuts, tapioca and coconut cream. What an exquisite sweet treat to end my palate’s gastronomic experience! Although it is similar to an Indonesian-style dessert, which may be due to typical ingredients used such as coconut cream or pandanus noodles, I was hypnotised by the combination the Chef has made for this treat. At the end of the day, my appetite was satisfied.

To end with, let me give you a few tips before coming to Nahm. First and probably, the most important one is to RESERVE your table, at least one week prior to your anticipated visit. I am pretty sure that walk-in is hardly accepted even on weekdays due to its popularity among expatriates. Moreover, do not expect this place to be able to accommodate more than hundreds guests. In fact, this restaurant is relatively small, which surely enhances the intimacy and privacy for each party. Last but not least, if you are not a spicy food-lover, then this place offers very little. Why so? It is because Nahm takes pride in its spices.  Nevertheless, in order to get such high-end dining experience, be prepared to spend at least THB 1,000++ per person.

Plum in scented syrup with Thai cupcakes

‘There is no love sincerer than the love of the food.’ Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment