Thursday 12 March 2015

My Stenden Journey of a Thousand Miles - by Wadzanayi Chitambo (part 5)

 

This time Wadzi tells us about her first ever 'White Christmas', exploring Eastern Europe and having her first snow experience!

At last the long awaited white Christmas...


All my life I dreamt of a white Christmas just like any other kid out there would, and finally now that I was in Europe for the festive holidays I had the chance to experience it. There really is a distinct difference of one’s Christmas spirit when living in warm climatic conditions in December when compared to those in cold climatic conditions. I suppose a white Christmas is just a norm which has been imbedded into our heads by the society and other influential things such as television. Without further ado, I will let you walk down memory lane with my to Christmas holiday of 2014.

Traditional European advent's drink
It was all well planned by my dear friend András from the time we were still in Bali, we spoke about spending Christmas in Szombathely, Hungary with his folks. This has to have been the best excursions of my life, with my feet touching the ground in 6 European countries in a space of 2 weeks. During the course of the trip we drove through Germany, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic and lastly Poland being the final stop whereby we would commence the New Year.

On the first night of our journey we stopped over in a small town in Germany for the night and to get into the Christmas mood, we went to the Christmas market in the village. This was something I had not experienced before, families wondering around outdoors having a jolly good time, with a live orchestra staged to sing Christmas carols and anyone was welcome to join in the carolling. 

Christmas lights at the German market
There were stalls selling all kinds of antiques, decorations, and most importantly foodJ. From the famous German currywurst, to Finnish cuisine to even Chinese noodles. Hot beverages were also on sale to keep everyone warm as it was still a cold winter night, with the likes of hot chocolate, tea, coffee, mulled wine and hot beer, yes! HOT BEER! That also took me by surprise, never had I thought such a thing existed. The ambiance in this place was astounding, from the sound of the violins and trumpets, the Christmas lights and decorations on the olden day German architecture, the smell of all the delicious food, children running around and the sound of families coming together and having a splendid time.

Thereafter we headed back to the hotel to rest and were off early in the morning as we still had a long journey ahead of us. After a couple hours of driving we finally reached Hungary and were in András’ hometown. It truly is a nice feeling to see where your friend grew up. After long awaited rest and seeing as Szombathely is located alongside the Austrian/Hungarian border, we drove to Vienna the next day for some final gift shopping.
Ready to explore Vienna's Christmas market

Sunset in Vienna
Vienna is a beautiful and very clean city, the architecture again was beautiful and the shopping street with all the crème de la crème brands you can think of. There was of course a Christmas market in Vienna as well, and this was much fancier than the previous with very extravagant decorations and lights. It was great to try the famous Wiener schnitzel in one of Vienna’s fine dining restaurants as well as some Vienna sausage. It really is mind-blowing how you can grow up eating something then finally get the chance to eat an original version of it from the place it originates from. With that being said I was then on a quest to try or the famous traditional meals in the places we visited, meals such as the famous Hungarian Goulash, Polish dumplings and the likes.


After all the Christmas shopping was done, then came Christmas itself. Nothing more heart-warming than being surrounded by loved ones on such a special day, although I was not with my family, it really did feel like family regardless of the DNA, A home away from home I would like to call it. A big feast was made with wrapped Christmas presents around the tree. Almost started to believe in Santa again. Being surrounded by people from all different nations, Indonesia, Zimbabwe, Hungary, and Poland, this way getting to know how one holiday can be celebrated differently in other parts of the world. It truly was a moving experience.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Gifts galore
It didn’t snow on the 25th, so I was feeling sad that I wouldn’t get to experience snow. However on the 26th the tables turned and it began to snow. It was a dream come true, it felt like a Christmas miracle. When we noticed it had begun to snow I quickly ran outside with so much excitement. And all I found myself saying was WOW, WOW, and WOW! It was absolutely sublime, I had the biggest grin on my face as it was my very first time seeing snow. To my surprise I found myself crying tears of joy, most definitely the best and most cherishable moment. As the other people I was with had experienced snow before they were amused by my reaction. We then began to play in the snow, throwing snowballs at each other, I really felt like a kid again. This is an experience I will treasure for the rest of my life. 

Enjoying Christmas

My first snow!!

Snowballing at night

The Danube river
The best of Hungarian spa


In the following days we did some sight-seeing in Budapest, walking through the royal palace, fisherman’s bastille, crossing the Danube. We found that in Hungary most of the towns have hot thermal water, and this is a big trend in Hungary after having 150 years of Turkish occupation to take advantage of these thermal baths for body treatment purposes. With that being said we visited the Szechenyi spa one of the most famous spa’s for body treatment purposes.

                                                                  
After Christmas was over we continued the journey to Poland and visited a town called Wroclaw – the city of a hundred bridges which is a town with a lot of German influence in terms of German architecture. Thereafter we moved on to Warsaw the capital whereby we spent our New Years. It was of opinion that a very small portion of the old town city survived, and the remaining being metropolitan. This making it one of most modern European city with an enormous amount of skyscrapers. It’s been really interesting to see that part of Europe and being able to distinguish differences between the several European countries. This has just been an insight of the many opportunities I have been granted by going to Stenden. The ability to have a multicultural lifestyle, study as well as see the world. So go ahead, embark on this journey and also begin walking through your Stenden journey of a thousand miles.

Budapest by night


Photo credit to Andras Szemes, follow him on Instagram (@szemesa) for more beautiful pictures of our journey.

Downtown Warsaw

A charming Polish café

The mandatory road trip selfie



No comments:

Post a Comment