Thursday 27 February 2014


Grand Tour is not just about studying, but also about learning other cultures and understanding differences. Through the field trips organized during his Grand Tour in Thailand, Joshua has befriended with a Thai buffalo (!) and discovered the working behavior of the locals.

Field Trips: I mean literally and figuratively…

One of Stenden’s flagship qualities is “Real World Learning”. In line with another common adage “Learning by Doing”, I am not going to put this into an academic context only, but also my personal cultural experience. Then, why did I bring such a “heavy-content” issue for this week?  It is because of the field trips, which add valuable experiences in my quest to know more about the Thai culture.

Buffalo riding: It's better to be late than never to try new things.
Buffalo Village Field Trip
 Organised by RSU’s International Student Affairs in collaboration with RSU Buddy, I embarked on a field trip to Buffalo Village at Saphan Buri, a 2-hour-drive rural district from Rangsit. It was a field trip in literal sense as we visited one of the many beautiful ‘lush’ rice fields of Thailand. To be honest, this experience was not new to me, as I have seen many rice fields in Indonesia, especially in Bali, since Indonesia is an agrarian nation as well. However, what got me excited about this trip was the chance to actually walk through the rice fields, which was a first for me. Growing up in a big city, I could not imagine being soaked in mud while planting the paddies under the scorching sun just like a farmer. I finally did this! We started off planting and then moved on to the ‘buffalo show’, a unique attraction of the region, and I even got the chance to ride on a buffalo, which is another strange feeling to sit on this gigantic animal’s back. Interestingly, we learn that when someone crawls under a buffalo, it translates into good fortune. Interesting theory and I sure hope this has brought good fortune on me! Besides, these gentle giants are regarded as one of the most sacred animals in Thai culture and contributed immensely by helping Thai farmers cultivate rice for several decades before they were replaced by tractors to plough the land. It was a perfect day in my small journey to explore Thailand.

A typical junior suite bedroom at Novotel Ploenchit Sukhumvit Bangkok.
Novotel Ploenchit Sukhumvit Bangkok Field Trip

Metaphorically speaking, this was another field trip arranged by SRU’s Module Coordinator. Along with the 3rd year strategic management students, I had to wake up in the early morning since we took off at 7 am to the heart of bustling Bangkok, Sukhumvit area. In general, I really liked the field trip to this midscale Accor’s city hotel as I got a better insight into dealing with the cultures for foreigners who would like to work in the Thai hospitality industry. Guided by Mr Peter, Human Resources and Training Manager of the property, the group had a chance for a site inspection and presentations about Thai hospitality industry as well as hotel’s dining etiquette. According to him, which I also found it is true; working with Thai people (or Asians in general) is done in a compromising way. This means that it should not be just strictly about rules and regulations from Accor’s headquarter in France for example, but also how colleagues should be respectful to each other to avoid any conflict. Otherwise, in case of unsettled dispute, “compromising” refers to finding best solutions for both parties. Unlike American’s hospitality industry, for instance, hospitality culture in Thailand tends to be more collectivistic and harmonious based on consensus. Even though language barrier may still be problematic, but Thai people are very friendly, eager to learn foreign cultures as well. Overall, it was truly an enriching field trip, which was concluded with a savoury 3-course luncheon. Khap Pun Krab Novotel!  

Meet my Thai buddy, Max (3rd from the left), whom will be featured next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment